Magnificent walking and cycling area to experience the unspoilt scenery with panoramic hilltop views. Cycling on local byways and the nearby Coast to Coast route, will enable you to appreciate the vast untamed beauty of the area.
Designated an area of outstanding natural beauty the dale is full of interest and history of the leadminers at Killhope Leadmining Centre, the Weardale Railway, Folk Museum, Monthly Farmers Market & the Dales Centre in picturesque Stanhope with its interesting village shops. There are many friendly pubs and eating places to choose from in the valley and surrounding area.
The North Pennines has much to offer in the unique beauty and history of the area and near accessibility to surrounding places of interest.
Further afield, but within easy reach is Durham City with its Cathedral and Castle, the Roman Wall, Lake District, Yorkshire Dales, Picturesque Market Towns, Renowned Metro Centre & Newcastle for shopping are all within one hours drive.
Things to do & see
- Many varied walks to explore
- Cycling on local byways and the C to C scenic route
- Fishing in the River Wear & local reservoirs
- Riding in Hamsterley Forest
- Swimming in indoor or open air heated swimming pools
- Golf on surrounding courses
- Bird & wildlife watching
- Killhope Lead Mining Centre
- Weardale Railway
- Folk Museum
- Monthly Farmers Market
- Dales Centre & Tourist Information
- Lime Tree Art Gallery
- Many interesting public houses & eating places
Within easy access are locations of historic & tourist interest
- Picturesque Durham with its Castle & Cathedral
- The Lake District
- Yorkshire Dales
- Hadrians Wall
- Beamish Open Air Museum
- Market towns of Hexham, Barnard Castle, Alston & Penrith
- The world famous Metro Centre
- Newcastle with its quayside, bridges & many attractions